Wednesday, September 10, 2008

4th Year, 1st Rotation - PSYCHIATRY

I just started my first rotation of the academic year on Monday and yeah, I'm doing Psychiatry! (errkkk..).
Yep, it's scary.. yet interesting..
It kinda teach me not to be as friendly as usual, but at the same time train me to be more sensitive..
Definitely I need time to adjust myself in this field. Thank goodness we have 4 weeks of psychiatry rotation (can u sense the sarcasm??)

Anyhoo... met some interesting patients in these past 3 days:
- an elderly male patient just came right up to our group (~8 of us) and started talking about the newly painted wall
- a middle aged man having a cigarette outside with one of his family members just suddenly said to me, "We were just saying how beautiful you are.. What's your name?"
- a guy (I think in his early 30s) just came up to us this morning, and started singing in Spanish (I think he likes my friend, Feesha... maybe he thinks she's Hispanic!).
- we had a case conference this morning, discussing about a young girl with Paranoid Schizophrenia & Borderline Personality Disorder.. she believes Osama bin Laden is her witch-doctor, as well as Leonardo Da Vinci. She does not like to read because she can't differentiate fact & fiction. Poor girl..
- my patient heard a voice saying she's going to die just before she had her 1st anxiety attack.

Interesting eh?

No comments: