Sunday, September 28, 2008

The actress in me.. haha

Last thursday afternoon, I was in one of the consultation room in psychiatry ward. I was waiting for my consultant to start our ward round. So there I was, reading about eating disorder from the borrowed Oxford Clinical Specialty book when suddenly a foreign doctor (I have no idea which country he is from) came to me and ask me to follow him. FYI, there are a lot of foreign doctors working in psychiatry. Anyhoo, he was saying stuff about his OSCE and asking me which year I am in bla bla bla.. I didn't really know what he wanted from me at first but I just followed him because he asked for my help. He brought me and a colleague of mine into our tutorial room and 2 other doctors were waiting inside.

They explained to us that this foreign doctor is actually practising for his upcoming Mock Psychiatry Exam. So he wanted us to become mock patients! I was the first person to act as I was the only "actress" there as the 1st case is a lady. I was given a sheet of paper to read my "part". I was supposed to act as Ms Jean, a 70+ year old lady who lost her husband 7 months ago and is having trouble with her memory with symptoms of depression and grieving. The doctor was supposed to ask me questions to differentiate whether I have dementia or depression (as they may present similarly). The first sentence in the sheet was, "You are nervous, agitated about your memory and TEARFUL ". *shock*

After 3 weeks experience of psychiatry, I kinda know exactly what to do.. (haha). So, when he started introducing himself and seated myself, my legs started to get restless and I was fidgeting (nervous). And when he started asking about my "late husband", I started "crying"(!!!) and he offered me a fake tissue paper. Then he started asking about "my" depressive symptoms. When he asked about my passive death wish/suicidal ideation, I said, "sometimes I wish I would die, so that I could be with my husband" and followed by more tears..!! I can't believe it myself that I would do that! He might think I'm a real patient (apart from the fact that I'm in my 20s instead of 70s!). And I was frustrated everytime he asked me about my memory..

The examiner (our tutor) told me I was excellent and my acting was so real! =P *blush*. I was just glad I could be of help to that doctor. *wink*
I didn't know I had it in me.. seriously! I was in a school play when I was 15, I think.. but that was it. Never really thought a career in acting before (hahahaha). Anyway, if u want me in your movie/drama/play or anything at all, just give me a buzz ok? =P

No comments: